Buckwheat has a variety of healthful properties. It’s an excellent plant source of easily digestive protein and contains all eight essential amino acids, so it’s close to being a "complete" protein.
Ingredients: (use organic and free-range where possible)
2 bananas, mashed + 2 extra for frying, sliced
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup milk (I used rice)
3/4 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
butter or coconut oil
- Place the eggs, 2 bananas, vanilla essence and milk into a medium mixing bowl and mix well with a whisk or electric beaters.
- Heat a heavy skillet and a regular frying pan over a medium heat, while making the batter and preparing bananas for frying.
- Add the buckwheat flour, baking powder, soda and pinch of salt to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Add a teaspoon or two of butter to the heated skillet and add the sliced bananas, cook until nicely browned and caramelised on both sides.
- Meanwhile add a teaspoon of butter to the frying pan and pour the pancake batter into the pan making three small pancakes at a time, when they start to show holes on the top, and they look brown on the bottom, flip them over and continue cooking for another minute or two.
- Once all the pancakes are cooked, divide between two large plates layering with the cooked banana as you go.
- Drizzle with the liquid honey and serve with freshly whipped cream, coconut yoghurt or greek yoghurt. Enjoy!