These delicious Feijoa muffins would have to be one of my favorites, their walnut and cinnamon sugar topping makes them irresistibly crunchy. Have one for breakfast, add them to kids' lunch boxes, or relax and enjoy one with a nice hot cuppa... Perfectly simple, naturally sweet and tremendously easy to make.
The Feijoa, also known as Pineapple Guava or Guavasteen, is originally from South America, fortunately New Zealand offers the warm-temperate climate and just the right amount of winter Chilling for the Feijoa to thrive in. It seems that we are one of the few countries in the world that offer these perfect conditions.
This recipe can also be used to make a cake or loaf, I've done it with great success. You just need to increase the baking time by 10 - 15 minutes.
Makes 12 large muffins
2 cups of white spelt flour
1 cup whole-meal spelt flour
3 tsp baking powder
a good pinch of salt
2 Tbsp coconut palm sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
3 free-range or organic eggs
3/4 cup rice milk or other milk option
1/2 cup raw honey
1 tsp vanilla essence (the real stuff)
2 tsp lemon zest
1 1/2 cups of Feijoas, peeled and chopped
150g cream cheese (optional), chopped into 12 large cubes
Walnut and cinnamon sugar topping-
1 Tbsp coconut palm sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Sift the first three ingredients into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, add all of the remaining ingredients except for the Feijoas and cream cheese, whisk these ingredients together until well combined.
4. Gently fold this wet mixture into the sifted flour mixture along with the chopped Feijoas until well combined.
5. To make the topping simply combine all three of the topping ingredients together.
6. Spoon the muffin mixture into lined muffin tins, if using place a cube of cream cheese onto the top of each muffin along with a generous sprinkling of the topping mixture.
7. Bake in the middle of the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes or until they are golden brown and a skewer comes out clean when inserted.
Delicious served just as they are...